What’s a character sketch?
It’s a summary description of a persona, either of a real life person or a fictional character.
The Scribendi website defines it this way:
A character sketch is a quick rendering of a character, and writing a sketch is about asking and answering questions. In order to write a character sketch, you must ask yourself questions about your character. Only you, as the author, can answer these questions.
In this case it’s a fictional character, one I’m introducing in my newest novel, Dragon Slayer: Rising.
Readers, meet Sandip.
Character Sketch: Sandip
In Sanskrit it means “blazing.”
While the world in my books is not “earth” per se, it’s what I’d call an alternate version of earth, an alternate history.
- It has the same history
- The same geography
- And the same ethnic diversity.
I based my world on the reality of our world to make it easier for readers to understand the setting quickly and move on to the story and characters.
But more importantly, it’s based in an earth-like timeline because of the central place the gospel plan of redemption plays in the storyline.[tweetthis hidden_hashtags=”#charactersketch”]The power of God in real life is what motivates all of my fiction.[/tweetthis]
Getting back to Sandip:
Age: Approximately 35
Ethnicity: Eastern (India?)
- Lithe, agile, and fit.
- A bit taller than 6 foot.
- Deep brown skin.
- Thin but handsome face.
- Two prominent scars, one on each cheek (there’s a story there… you’ll have to read the book to find out what it is).
- Intelligent, purposeful, resolute.
- Kind but cautious.
- Devoted to those who have gained his trust.
- Fierce toward those who have broken it.
- Lives with deep regrets and bitterness (again, you’ll have to read the book to get the details on that. It’s an important part of the storyline).
- Eager to inflict justice on his betrayers.
- Without a clear purpose, Sandip can easily drift into the murky swamp of guilty regret.
- With a clear and meaningful purpose, he is a force not to be trifled with.
- Insightful and strategic.
- Very capable warrior.
- A leader in every sense of the word.
I’d love for you to meet Sandip in my new novel, Dragon Slayer: Rising.
I hope this character sketch has tempted you to find out more.
You can also tell others about the book by using the social media sharing options on this page.
Finally, I’d love to hear your thoughts and impressions of Sandip in the comments below…
- How would you describe him?
- What do you like about this new character?
- What do you wish was different about him?
- And… no spoilers, please! We don’t want to ruin the story for others!